TEMPLETON PARKING -Mile 53.9
Latitude/Longitude: 40°55.160’N, 79°27.793’W
DESCRIPTION: This is a medium-sized dirt parking lot maintained by the PA Fish and Boat Commission. Currently there are no public restrooms at this site.
US-422 East coming from Butler
US-422 West coming from Elderton
PA-66 North coming from Leechburg
PA-28 North coming from Tarentum
1. Take the exit marked Kittanning Business on the east side of the Allegheny River.
2. Follow the exit ramp and short expressway for a little over 1 mile to a stop light near the bottom of the hill.
3. Stay in the right hand lane and turn right at the intersection onto South Water Street
4. Continue straight onto South Water Street to Market Street, 4 blocks (the Kittanning Citizen’s Bridge will be to the left).
5. Turn right onto Market Street and continue 4 blocks.
6. Market Street crosses the Armstrong Trail at the 3rd intersection.
7. The Armstrong County Courthouse parking lot is located just past the trail on the right.
8. Take the first left after passing the Courthouse and travel on Oak Avenue (PA State Route 1033) towards Templeton.
9. Oak Avenue will become Johnston Avenue.
10. Approximately 3 miles past the Courthouse State Route 1033 crosses over Cowanshannock Creek.
11. On State Route 1033 continue past the Cowanshannock Picnic Area on State Route 1033 about 2 miles, go under a train trestle, and over Pine Creek.
12. Bear to the right immediately after crossing Pine Creek and follow State Route 1032 for almost 1 mile.
13. Turn left onto State Route 1031.
14. Follow State Route 1031, and the signs, for 3 miles to Templeton
15. Pass the Nautical Mile Marina and continue into Templeton, take the slight left and follow the black and yellow arrows along the meandering State Route 1031 through town 2/10 of a mile to the
Templeton Post Office.
16. Turn left at the Templeton Post Office onto Third Street
17. You will come to a “T” almost immediately.
18. Turn right onto Allegheny Avenue.19. Continue on Allegheny Avenue for approximately 2 blocks.
20. Park at the Templeton PA Fish and Boat Commission Launch Area is two blocks ahead.
21. At the entrance to the Parking lot you will see a sign for the “Templeton Trail”.
PA-66/28 South coming from New Bethlehem
1. Exit onto State Route 1004 in Distant.
2. Follow State Route 1004 for approximately 5 miles.
3. Turn right to stay on State Route 1004.
4. Stay on State Route 1004 for another 2.3 miles until you reach the village of Widnoon.
5. Turn left on State Route 1003 and drive for approximately 3 miles until it crosses Mahoning Creek.
6. Stay on State Route 1003 for approximately 1 more mile.
7. Look for a large church parking lot and turn right onto State Route 1031.
8. Continue through the town of Templeton on State Route 1031 for 3/10 of a mile to the Templeton Post Office
9. Turn right at the Templeton Post Office onto Third Street
10. You will come to a “T” almost immediately.
11. Turn right onto Allegheny Avenue.
12. Continue on Allegheny Avenue for approximately 2 blocks.
13. Park at the Templeton PA Fish and Boat Commission Launch Area is two blocks ahead.
14. At the entrance to the Parking lot you will see a sign for the “Templeton Trail”.